Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Quotes of Mr. Tim Sawyer, College Choir Director '00-'01

8-30-00 "This is driving me crazy. Does anyone have a rubber band? A knife?"

8-30-00 (about the Grand Canyon) "Look, a big hole in the ground. Let's go have lunch."

8-30-00 "If you wear the wrong kind of cologne or perfume or hair goo I could keel over and die. Now, that might sound attractive to some of you…"

8-31-00 "You can sing this like cats being slaughtered and I won't lose a wink of sleep."

9-7-00 "Some of you are looking at your music like it's a strange bug you've never seen before. What are these little black dots with sticks on them?"

9-1-00 "It's not glorious splendor. It's like watching the paper print off the lazer jet."

9-11-00 Matt Jackson: "Come stop by my room: 111 Snelling Terrace, the biggest room in the building."
Mr. Sawyer: "Did you say Snelling terrors?"

9-12-00 "God set that clock (the choir room clock) and He's not coming back very soon."

9-12-00 (we hear a motorcycle outside the choir room window) "Ryan (Uttech), stop eating Taco Bell before choir."

10-5-00 (trying to help us with "Crows and Clusters") "Have you ever met a crow?"

10-5-00 "Go to a practice room, a restroom if you have to…you gotta learn your notes."

10-6-00 "Or like the morning when I said the piece of cod that passes all understanding."

10-9-00 (someone spills their water on the floor) "Was it really water or did Ricky's diaper leek?"

10-13-00 "We're gonna make that new choir workout video: Chords of Steel."

10-19-00 "Persistence is my middle name. Timothy P. Sawyer."

10-19-00 "It still needs to be fuller…not Chris…he's a lot Fuller…"

10-19-00 "It's dying. It's running out of air. It's like a little dying child. Feed it!"

10-20-00 "Do you have your pencils out? That's your mom asking if you have on clean underwear."

10-26-00 "Do we say ‘the earth?' ‘Look! the earth!' NO! THEE earth!"

10-26-00 "Happy Christmas at Northwestern. It's ethereal."

10-26-00 "It got a lot stuffier in here when I came in. Maybe it's just me."

10-27-00 "It's not a perfect fifth unless it's perfect."

10-31-00 "I'm both vertically challenged and follically challenged."

11-00 "The dog had to go out at four so I'm not my usual perky, bright-eyed, bushy-tailed self."

11-10-00 "It's Thanksgiving. I'm the turkey. Carve away."

11-10-00 "I dressed up today so you can sit up."

11-10-00 "Are you awake? Did your hard drives crash or something?"

11-10-00 "pp does not mean double puny."

11-13-00 "The earth must reply in tune."

11-21-00 "[Basses] move forward. Adele doesn't bite…she only nibbles…but she doesn't bite."

11-21-00 "This is the first word I heard: "gum" (instead of "come"). As if somehow God had His false teeth out."

11-00 "By the way, the three kings are available for bat mitzvahs."

11-00 (Mr. Sawyer embarrasses Alicia , and then she walks out of the choir room)
"I hope Alicia didn't run off and change her last name."

11-00 "'I'm not sure, I'm just gonna hang back.' When in life do we get rewarded for that? Besides crossing the street?"

11-00 "I don't care if you know the notes…if you know the rhythm…if you know English…"

11-00 "This is where Matt [Selvig] does the interpretive dance for eight measures…not THAT one…the sacred one!"

1-18-01 "I want you to have so much fun that you can't hardly speak."

1-18-01 "When the notes change we want our voice to change with that…"

1-23-01 (a child is in the hall making roaring noises) "Is that a band member or a child out there?"

1-26-01 "Don't beat your voice up; beat your brain up."

1-30-01 "Show me the fugue."

1-30-01 "Anyone have agues today? No, I had some Saturday, but I don't remember having those today."

1-30-01 "We don't have time to hold hands with this thing. The wedding is coming soon."

2-1-01 "Basses, when I see your eyes turning pink I know it's a little high for you."

2-1-01 "This is trueism; you should all be listening."

2-6-01 "This is like a bad barbershop quartet convention."

2-9-01 "Out of tune singing…it's not godly. Write it down. Mark my words on that."

2-12-01 "However, (Ricky and Matt now walk into the room) now that the gnomes have arrived…."

2-12-01 "If we all do this together, then all the bases will be covered…and the tenors, altos and sopranos too."

2-20-01 "Bach. Some of you had no idea you could sing that many notes in six minutes."

2-20-01 "Some of you are the frozen chosen and need to melt a little bit and lighten up."

2-22-01 "It's like a music theory hot tub. You just sit there and go yeah yeah yeah."






Choir member quotes:

9-11-00 Ricky Frith: "I went to the doctor and found out I have a sinus infection, two ear infections, and a throat infection."
Alicia Sawyer: "Ricky, we just need to remove your whole head."

10-00 Mr. Sawyer: "I want some color and I want Ricky's color."
Maria Wilson: "Ricky can have some of my color."

10-27-00 Mr. Sawyer: "They want to know what a Christian choir is doing singing so much secular music."
Seth Doran: "That's a huge pet peeve of mine."
Mr. Sawyer: "Don't get me wrong. They support us. They sent us a check."
Seth Doran: "Well, then they're right."

10-27-00 (discussing ‘Ngana') "God made those things. He made black hair and love and silly crows…He made aborigines too." –Peter Johnson

11-9-00 (Tyler raises his hand)
Mr. Sawyer: "Tyler…do you have a question?"
Tyler Thorne: "Why does our solo suck every time?"

11-9-00 Mr. Sawyer: "Basses, now that sounded a lot better."
Tyler Thorne: "It would have been better it it was a half step up."

11-21-00 (talking about the electronic sounds that will play on the cassette durring one of the performances of our choir pieces for Christmas at Northwestern)
Mr. Sawyer: "They'll hear these sounds and not know where they are coming from…"
Alicia Sawyer: "They'll be wondering why someone doesn't turn their cell phone off."

11-30-00 Mr. Sawyer: "Repetition is the mother of…what did I say?"
Seth Doran : "Children."

2-2-01 (Maria and Karin are putting together groups for retreat and Maria is discussing her matchmaker skills)
"I'm excited to put people in groups. I want to make some couples and be a love maker." –Maria Wilson

2-6-01 "Look at that little boy with the red socks. I want to take him home with me! Give me a whistle and I'd be the pied piper!" –Christel Schulz

2-9-01 "Beauty queen this!" –Maria Wilson

No comments: