Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The story of quotegirl

I've been quoting people for years. I first started writing down quotes when I was 14 and I was a freshman in high school. I wrote down the bizarre things one of my teachers said for my whole freshman year. My sophomore year of high school I wrote quotes down occasionally, but not on a regular basis. The summer before my junior year, when I was 16, I went to Paraguay for the summer and lived with my cousins. As soon as my first night there I started quoting and I did it the whole time I was there. My cousins and I were so goofy together, and recording our silliness was entertaining.

When I returned home, my quoting started up once again that fall when I went with some Campus Life friends to help out at a homeless shelter one weekend. Everything came off hilarious, and so I quoted it. Only, this time, when the weekend was over I didn't stop quoting. This is when THE QUOTEBOOK was birthed.

I started quoting things down everyday on a regular basis. By the end of my junior year, and into my senior year, all the people I had classes with (and teachers) knew about the quotebook, and I was known as the girl with the quotebook. Some people made it a goal to get into the quotebook, and others hated it that I had that thing, fearing I would catch something stupid they said. Most people thought it was fun. I'll always remember the day my senior year in Spanish class when Kelly Rogers finally got into the quotebook. The class applauded for her. no joke. i couldn't write down quotes fast enough. all the time i would hear "that should go in the quotebook!" or someone would take it and write quotes in it themself.

When I left home and started college, I introduced a whole new crowd to THE QUOTEBOOK. I started out college in the middle of volume 2. Not too many people knew about the quotebook my freshman year until i started sending out e-mails every other week with the latest "best of" quotes. that was always fun. But by my sophomore year, the quotebook had a whole new following.

The best places I got quotes were from teachers/professors and when I was on trips. Trips in high school, and then college choir tours have given me some of the best quotes ever.

All the time people tell me I should write a book. I doubt that will ever really happen, and I thought the best way to share my quotes would be to put them online for everyone to enjoy. Not all of them are funny...sometimes you really have to be there. So i apologize for those, but i've tried to not put too many of those on here...

I no longer quote people. Everyday life got filled up with work and less funny people, sadly.

These quotes were on another site and I've decided to once again put them online for anyone to read.

Enjoy.

No comments: